Why a creative needs to participate in such challenges.
Well, welcome to day two of the #WinterABC2021. Day one went superbly well I must admit. Many salutations to those that decided to take part.
As we’re still about the creatives’, welcome to day two. Hope you love this one too. A creative artist is one who expresses their feelings, ideas, talents, or gifts for either entertainment, education, or as a form of influencing social change. (My definition) This can be a dancer, vlogger, podcaster, painter, a writer belonging to so many of the numerous forms under it (I am mainly a relationships’ blogger), an activist, etc. as it is quite the norm these days than ever before.
It takes a creative, only to know how crazy and intricate this field is. It’s highly competitive and changes too fast that one slip and someone else has taken your spot therefore it may need one to work double-time to stay on top. One of these double-time efforts is taking part in activities like the Afrobloggers Winter ABC and below is why you damn right should.
- It helps you maintain consistency. Like I said in the opening, a creative needs to be consistent. You need to get into the habit of establishing a consistent routine. Something that your followers will keep track of you about because we definitely need a following. Consistency will bring perfection and perfection will bring exposure which in turn will bring you deals (gigs) and then voila, you’ll see yourself earning from your trade.
- Networking: No man is an island. You need those connections buddy if you are to survive through these streets. the winterABC challenge is one good avenue to make those important connections because it not only exposes you to your local bloggers but to the international world as well. These will be the kind of people who will recommend you to other people, who will collaborate with you or offer you other great niceties that may come along the way. never ever forget that one of the ways of building these networks is by following other people’s works, reading, sharing, commenting and replying to them because people only ride with those that ride with them.
- Self-development (writing and reading): Writing and reading especially every day is hard. That’s why they’re called skills and skills don’t come easy. Participating in challenges like this would definitely help you polish these skills. The challenge you’ll get after reading what other people have put up will push you back into your hole and try to make yours come out better. That’s where the magic comes in. From such healthy competitions because now you’re on a bigger level where you have to level up.
just s well, it helps you with thinking fast. Coming up with different posts every day for a full month is not easy. Your desire to be consistent will be exhibited in how fast you think because you wouldn’t want to be caught behind time. The panic induced disappointment.
- Exposure: This isn’t your local street challenge. The winter ABC is an international challenge that exposes your works (and site) to readers and fellow creatives even outside Africa. The exposure you can get out of this is good enough to give your site ratings, stats and growth and these are numbers that can get you gigs and whatever else you may be looking for.
- Helps you learn about other fields in the game: This works through the different topics we’re given. As mainly a relationships’ writer, I am looking at the weeks where I’ll be talking about advocacy, business, fashion etc. and that will be a changer in my game. Reading what others will have written will be an eye opener into those other fields. Who knows, maybe you may find your creative juices belong there or it may be so good that you may find yourself expanding your creative arsenal and boy does being knowledgeable pay off.
And with those few pointers, if you are reading this and are still contemplating on whether to join in or not, I hope I have managed to inspire you. Now open up that blank page and write away, we at the Afrobloggers family will be around to help you push for the better. See you in my newsfeed soon. Peace.
Credit goes to Lebogang of sanctuary of greatness for her day one piece here inspired me to come up with my day two-piece. See, that’s one of the importance of reading. the inspiration from others.